Lilypie First Birthday tickers
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Stage 9: TILE BACKSPLASH

So while many of the decision making areas throughout this remodel process were difficult for me (and don't laugh family, not ALL decisions are difficult for me, just most), the tile had to be in some ways the hardest. I think my insecurity with this decision is similar to the way I feel about how to coordinate a man's tie...I can do plain shirts and ties, or patterned shirts and plain ties just fine, but when you start throwing in a patterned shirt and a patterned tie, you are on your own. I stare at the news anchors on TV and wonder, "Does that really go together?" But surely it does, because aren't there people there that are paid to pick out their clothing?!

Anyway, I digress, but this was my problem. I had picked out cabinets and granite, and wasn't sure what to do with the backsplash so that it coordinated, but wasn't too matchy matchy and didn't clash. I read in a magazine somewhere that staying in similar tones to the cabinets makes a small/narrow space feel larger, and after looking at samples I was drawn to the more "natural" tumbled look, so we finally made a decision.

I met the tiler to let him into the house to install, and realized that I was very nervous about if we had made the right selection or not. Everything looked so good so far, what if we were taking that one step to far and messing it all up? So I left the house to head back to work and just hoped that when I returned I wasn't disappointed.

And here is what I found when I came back later to check in on the progress:



I think we did a pretty good job picking out tile, don't you?! Maybe I should go out and pick up some patterned shirts and ties for Clint now! :)

4 comments:

  1. Excellent job ... it looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go for it! Always mix patterns, it makes life more interesting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did great! I know what you mean though about mixing colors and such! I ended up using bead board for my backsplash and it turned out really nicely! But the tile always looks classy! And I'm so jealous about your sink! LOVE THAT!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks great, Mel! Can't wait to see the finished product in person.

    ReplyDelete