Tuesday, July 27, 2010
Friday, July 23, 2010
Monday, July 19, 2010
ONE WALL! I know it's hard to see since we are going from a really bright yellow to a more subtle yellow, but here is a little more proof to show we actually did something, although not much.
Apparently the paint that was on the wall before is a satin finish which doesn't really absorb paint very well, so we kept watching every stroke seem to disappear. We finally were so frustrated, thinking that we were going to end up painting the whole thing and then have to pay someone anyway to make it look decent because it looked so bad while we were painting, that after three hours we just gave up. Coming back the next day it looked tons better (maybe impatience is really our issue), but I haven't seen either one of us volunteer to pick up those paintbrushes and try again. And now with all of the holes in the walls we are going to have to pay a painter anyway to patch everything, right? And they are so fast and it's so easy for them, right? And really, in these tough economic times, don't we owe it to them to let them use their talents?! :)
Friday, July 16, 2010
I spent the day Friday hanging out with the plumbing and electrical crews...breathed in a lot of dust and insulation, heard a lot of festive music :), and got a little nervous as more and more holes were cut into essentially every wall of the house...BUT, the good news is that we now have new plugs and new wiring and all of the bedrooms have separate switches for the lights and fans. And those holes are nothing that a little bit of sheetrock can't fix (I hope)!
And now, Clint would like for me to share a little laugh with you guys. Since we are essentially tearing out 99% of the walls in the kitchen, when the electrician came for the walkthrough of what we wanted, he just wrote his notes to himself straight onto the walls. Here is a picture showing the notes for one of the switches, and I tried to zoom in to highlight one particular note...$5 to anyone who can guess what this is really supposed to say!
Monday, July 12, 2010
Installed! (Sorry for the bad quality, iPhone and looking through the window is a bad combination)
The second good surprise so far was even better. As you can see in this picture, originally above the refrigerator and surrounding cabinets there was a furdown...by the way, it makes me laugh as we go through this process to hear Clint and I using terms that we have no idea what they mean but we heard someone else use them first so we just follow along. I especially love when he says one and I look at him like "What does that mean?" and he shrugs his shoulders, shakes his head and just laughs. But back down to furdown...I keep wanting to say furlough, but all I know is that it is the space that was all sheetrocked in.
This space contained an air register that sent air to three vents - the one you see above, one in the dining room (to the right) and one in the living room (behind the refrigerator). Every time my dad would come into the kitchen he would comment about how this vent in the kitchen was closed and he couldn't imagine why you would close that. Same comment, time after time. Well one day he actually opened it up and stuck his hand up there and said "Well there's not any air coming out of here!" We checked the other vents that were connected, same story.
So, that leads to the good news. Heidi (my friend who just happens to be an architect and designed everything for us...love her) was with us going over the plans and we started talking about how nice it would be if the furdown was gone. So Clint goes up into the attic and realizes that the sole purpose of that entire area was to close in the air register...and since it didn't even work properly we decided to take it out! This led to new plans which involve cabinets all the way up to the ceiling and let this area be more of what Heidi said she originally wanted anyway...we aim to please :)
Thursday, July 8, 2010
Standing in the kitchen, facing into the den.
Standing in the breakfast room.
Wednesday, July 7, 2010
Tuesday, July 6, 2010
It seems like forever since we moved out of the little yellow house on Aurora, so we are very excited to have actually closed on our new home and to start the kitchen remodel project.
For those of you that don't know, the house we bought was built in the 1950's and has had a lot of work already done to it...all of the "boring" remodeling items like new roof, all of the windows replaced (which are awesome by the way), and new siding. The former owners also remodeled the bathrooms, which is so great and usually very necessary for houses from this time period. The one big project left is the kitchen, so our plan is have this fully redone before we move in.
We are doing what we can on this project, and hiring out other parts, but I thought it would be fun to document it all from beginning to end so that those of you that care can follow along and so that we have a record of what everything used to look like...and hopefully how great it looks in the end!
So, the BEFORE pictures...