Lilypie First Birthday tickers
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Week 17

Pregnancy Highlights for the Week

How Far Along: 17 weeks




Fruit/Veggie: A Turnip (about 5 inches long and weighs 5 ounces). This turnip is kind of weird looking, some other sites say an onion if that is a better image for you.

Baby changes: Your baby's skeleton is changing from soft cartilage to bone, and the umbilical cord — her lifeline to the placenta — is growing stronger and thicker. She can move her joints, and her sweat glands are starting to develop.


Up until this week, her developmental milestones have centered on various organs and body systems beginning to function and then maturing. Now her body will start filling out by adding fat tissue. Her fat tissue will help regulate her temperature and also store energy she'll need now and once she's born.


Another side effect of adding bulk is that your unborn baby will look more and more like a newborn. Her cheeks will lose their wrinkled appearance and develop characteristic baby chubbiness. Her face is looking more babylike for other reasons, too. Her eyes are almost in their final position and they begin to move under her eyelids. On either side of her face, her ears are beginning to function and can detect sound. Her ability to hear will continue to improve as she grows.


Best Moment this week: The appointment on Wednesday went great. We heard a strong heartbeat again...every once in a while the sound would muffle a little and the nurse said that was because the baby was wiggling around. The doctor said that I'm progressing well and right on track.


This past weekend one of my best friends from high school got married, so I had a busy and fun weekend spending time with her and our other friends. It is so amazing for me to look at these girls who I've known for almost 15 years (crazy!) and see how much we have all changed and grown, but how we can all come back together and truly enjoy each others company.


Finally, we spent Sunday evening with Clint's family celebrating Quinn's 16th birthday! Wow, 16, seems like forever ago. It's so fun to watch him grow up and be a part of it, I can't wait for all of the years to come! All he wants is a car...some things never change :)


Gender: Not yet, appointment is scheduled for May 6th at 9 am.


Movement: Still nothing, but I do try to sit really still sometimes and check to make sure.


Food Cravings: Still the same.


What I Miss: Clothes that fit, running.


Sleep: So I've given up on this whole "only sleep on your side". I read an article that says its better and I should try, but that if I wake up on my back it's okay. If anything was wrong my body would let me know before it is actually having an effect on the baby, so not to worry so much about it. I'm sure all of you moms out there could have already told me that, but I guess we just have to learn somehow!

What I am looking forward to: Well, according to Clint, who had to remind me, it's my birthday this Friday! Funny how other things in your life just become more important as we get older. It should be a great day, and a fun weekend!


Symptoms: I still feel good, can't complain.

2 comments: